25.1.10

University of Gothenburg



The University of Gothenburg has approximately 50,000 students (25 000 full-time students) and 5,000 employees. It is one of the major universities in Europe. With its eight faculties and approximately sixty departments, the University of Gothenburg is also the most wide-ranging and versatile university in Sweden, offering unique opportunities for cooperation and development.

The distinctive characteristic of university education at the University of Gothenburg is the close interaction between teaching and research. Students are kept informed of the latest developments in the field they are studying and researchers gain inspiration from their students expectations and needs. At the University of Gothenburg research and teaching are regarded as equally important, and there is ongoing pedagogical development work.



In an international perspective too, the University of Gothenburg is unusually comprehensive, with cutting-edge research in a number of dynamic research areas. Cooperation with Chalmers University of Technology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, society at large and trade and industry has been consistently strengthened and intensified over recent years, as have international contacts and collaborative projects with partners abroad.

History


The University of Gothenburg was founded as Göteborgs högskola (Gothenburg College) in 1891. In 1907 it was granted the same status as Uppsala University and Lund University by the Swedish government. Over the course of time, it as merged with a number of previously independent academic institutions in the city. It was granted the rights of a full university by the Swedish government in 1954, following the merger of the Göteborgs högskola with the Medicinhögskolan i Göteborg (Gothenburg Medical School), thus becoming Sweden's third-oldest university.

In 2005, the originally separate Gothenburg School of Economics and Commercial Law became part of the University of Gothenburg. Sahlgrenska University Hospital is associated with the university as a teaching hospital.

In the 1990s the School of Economics and the Academy of Music, Drama and Opera have moved to new buildings in the city centre. A new campus for the Faculty of Education (teacher training) was opened in central Gothenburg in 2006.

The University of Gothenburg is a pronounced city university, that is most of its facilities are within the city centre of Gothenburg. The main building as well as most faculties are located in the central part of Gothenburg.

Faculties

* Artistic studies (Konstnärliga fakulteten)
o design and crafts
o film school
o literary composition
o photography
o scene and music
o Göteborg Organ Art Center
o Valand School of Fine Arts

* Education (Utbildningsvetenskapliga fakulteten) offers teacher training courses

* Humanities (Humanistiska fakulteten)
o cultural studies
o history
o literature, history of ideas, religion
o modern languages
o philosophy, linguistics, theory of science
o Swedish

* Information Technology (IT fakulteten)
o applied information technology
o computer science and engineering

* Natural Sciences
o botany
o cell and molecular biology
o physics
o earth sciences
o chemistry
o kulturvård
o marine ecology
o mathematics
o environmental science
o zoology

* Sahlgrenska Academy is the university's medical school

* the School of Business, Economics and Law (Handelshögskolan vid Göteborgs universitet) is a combined business school and law school
o economics
o business administration
o law
o cultural geography
o national economy and statistics



* Social Sciences (Samhällsvetenskapliga fakulteten)
o peace and development studies
o public administration
o journalism and mass communication
o psychology
o social anthropology
o social work
o sociology
o political science

University of Gothenburg ranked:

185th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

183th in the 2010 QS World University Ranking

184th in the 2011 QS World University Ranking

18.1.10

University of Malaya




The University of Malaya (Abbreviation: UM; Malay: Universiti Malaya) is the oldest university in Malaysia. The university motto is Ilmu Punca Kemajuan (English: Knowledge is the Source of Progress).

It is recognised as one of the top universities in Malaysia and in the top 200 universities of the world.

History

Beginnings

In September 1904, Tan Jiak Kim led a group of representatives of the Chinese and other non-European communities, and petitioned the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir John Anderson, to establish a medical school in Singapore. Tan, who was the first president of the Straits Chinese British Association, managed to raise $87,077, of which the largest amount of $12,000 came from himself. On 3 July 1905, the medical school was founded, and was known as the Straits and Federated Malay States Government Medical School. The medical library was first housed in the students' reading room within the school, converted from the vacant old female lunatic asylum in Sepoy Lines.


In 1912, the medical school received an endowment of $120,000 from the King Edward VII Memorial Fund, started by Dr Lim Boon Keng. Subsequently on 18 November 1913, the name of the school was changed to the King Edward VII Medical School. In 1921, it was again changed to the King Edward VII College of Medicine to reflect its academic status. In 1929, Raffles College was established to promote arts and social sciences at tertiary level for Malayan students.

Establishment of the university

Two decades later, Raffles College was merged with the King Edward VII College of Medicine to form the University of Malaya on 8 October 1949. The two institutions were merged to provide for the higher education needs of the Federation of Malaya and Singapore.

The growth of UM was very rapid during the first decade of its establishment and resulted in the setting up of two autonomous divisions in 1959, one located in Singapore and the other in Kuala Lumpur.

Growth and consolidation

In 1960, the governments of the Federation of Malaysia and Singapore indicated their desire to change the status of the Divisions into that of a national university. Legislation was passed in 1961 establishing the former Kuala Lumpur division as the University of Malaya while the Singapore division was renamed the University of Singapore, the predecessor of today's National University of Singapore, on January 1, 1962.

On June 16, 1962, the university celebrated the installation of its first Chancellor, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia's first Prime Minister. The first Vice-Chancellor was former Dean, Sir Alexander Oppenheim, the world renowned mathematician who formulated the Oppenheim conjecture in 1929. When Oppenheim left in 1965 with no successor in sight, Rayson Huang who later went on to become the first Asian Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hong Kong, was asked to take over as the Acting Vice Chancellor. He served in that capacity for 12 months but declined reappointment in order to return to academic pursuits.

Chin Fung Kee, an authority in geotechnical engineering, replaced Huang as Acting Vice-Chancellor until the university succeeded in filling the position in 1967 by the appointment of James H.E. Griffiths. A distinguished physicist and a fellow of Magdalen College, Griffiths was also the former head of Clarendon Laboratory of Oxford University and one of the discoverers of ferromagnetic resonance.

Malaysianization

In 1968, economist Ungku Abdul Aziz succeeded Griffiths as Vice-Chancellor, making him the second Malaysian after Chin to be elevated to the highest executive office in UM and the first Malaysian to be appointed as full Vice-Chancellor. This development was a precursor to the introduction of ethnic quotas into public universities with the introduction of the New Economic Policy in 1971.

On May 1, 2006, the first woman Vice-Chancellor when former Dean of the Faculty of Law, Universiti Malaya and later assistant governor of Bank Negara Malaysia, Rafiah Salim, was appointed to the position.

Rankings

The THES - QS World University Rankings has ranked UM in the top 200 universities of the world, although its position has varied from 89 to 246. It was ranked 89, 169, 192, 246, 230 and 180 for the years 2005 to 2009 respectively, and these fluctuations were perceived as a progressive drop and became an object of public questioning and controversy about the perceived declining standards of Malaysian universities and the apparent lackadaisical attitude of UM in addressing long standing issues. This prompted the Ministry of Higher Education to establish its own competitive ranking system between Malaysian public universities known as the Rating System for Malaysian Higher Education Institutions or SETARA following an Academic Reputation Survey conducted the year before. The results of the first SETARA exercise were published in 2008 and University of Malaya came out as the top university in the country. It was the only university which achieved a rating of 5 (out of maximum 6).

Campuses

UM has three campuses, two located in Kuala Lumpur and the other located in Kelantan.


Main
The Main Campus is located in the suburb of Lembah Pantai, southwest of Kuala Lumpur. The campus has an area of 750 acres (3.0 km²) and is the original campus of the Kuala Lumpur division of the original University of Malaya. Most of the main administrative buildings and faculties are located here. The 80 hectare Rimba Ilmu Botanical Gardens are also located within the campus.

City
The City Campus is located in the Bukit Persekutuan area of Kuala Lumpur approximately 15 minutes away from the Main Campus. The University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education, Institute of Principalship Studies, International Institute of Public Policy and Management, Graduate School of Business and the City Campus library are located here.

Branch
The Academy’s branch campus in Nilam Puri, Kelantan offers courses in Islamic foundation studies in Shariah, Usuluddin, Islamic Studies and Islamic Education with Science.


List of Faculty

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Business and Accountancy
Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Economics and Administration
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Languages and Linguistics
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Built Environment

University of Malaya ranked:
180th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking
167th in the 2011 QS World University Ranking

17.1.10

University of Tsukuba


University of Tsukuba (筑波大学 Tsukuba daigaku?) is located in the city of Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture in the Kantō region of Japan. The University has 28 college clusters and schools with a total of around 15,000 students (in 2003).

The current university was established in October, 1973. A forerunner of this university was Tokyo University of Education (東京教育大学 Tōkyō kyōiku daigaku?) originally founded in 1872 as one of the oldest universities in Japan, Tokyo Shihan Gakko.

The university is ranked one of the top Asian universities (9th to 17th) in the “Academic Ranking of World Universities” and is ranked 102-150 in the world. Furthermore, Global University Ranking places the university 41st globally.
The University of Tsukuba has had several Nobel Prize winners so far, namely Leo Esaki, Hideki Shirakawa and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga.

The University of Tsukuba is famous in the research of physical education, physics and economics.[citation needed]
On July 11, 1991 Japanese translator Hitoshi Igarashi was stabbed to death at the University for translating Salman Rushdie's most famous novel The Satanic Verses.

In October 2002, the University of Tsukuba merged with the University of Library and Information Science (ULIS, 図書館情報大学 Toshokan jōhō daigaku?). The School of Library and Information Science and the Graduate School of Library and Information - Media Studies were established.

In May 2008, the Tokyo International Conference on African Development became an opportunity for the African Development Bank (AfDB) and universities in Japan to promote partnership on higher education, science and technology. Donald Kaberuka, the President of AfDB and the President of Tsukuba University signed a memorandum of understanding during the three-day event.

Tsukuba university was established in October 1973, due to the relocation of its antecedent, the Tokyo University of Education, to the Tsukuba area. As the first comprehensive university in Japan to be established under a country-wide university reform plan, the University has featured "Openness" with "New Systems for Education and Research" under a "New University Administration." The university reform plays a major role in our continuing effort for improvemnet. We are striving to create a unique, active, and internationally competitive university with superlative education and research facilities.

Academics

School of Humanities and Culture
• College of Humanities
• College of Comparative Culture
• College of Japanese Language and Culture

School of Social and International Studies
• College of Social Sciences
• College of International Studies

School of Human Sciences
• College of Education
• College of Psychology
• College of Disability Sciences

School of Life and Environmental Sciences
• College of Biological Sciences
• College of Agro-Biological Resource Sciences
• College of Geoscience

School of Science and Engineering
• College of Mathematics
• College of Physics
• College of Chemistry
• College of Engineering Sciences
• College of Engineering Systems
• College of Policy and Planning Sciences

School of Informatics
• College of Information Science
• College of Media Arts, Science and Technology
• College of Knowledge and Library Sciences

School of Medicine and Medical Sciences
• School of Medicine
• School of Nursing
• School of Medical Sciences

School of Health and Physical Education

School of Art and Design

University of Tsukuba ranked:

174th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

172nd in the 2010 QS World University Ranking

186th in the 2011 QS World University Ranking

Saint-petersburg State University




Saint Petersburg State University (Russian: Санкт-Петербургский государственный университет, Sankt-Peterburgskiy gosudarstvenny universitet) is a Russian federal state-owned higher education institution based in Saint Petersburg and one of the oldest, largest and most prestigious universities in Russia.

It is made up of 20 specialized faculties, 13 research institutes, Canada College, Faculty of Military Studies, and a Chair of Physical Culture and Sports. As of 2004, the university had a teaching staff of 4,055. The university has two main campuses: on Vasilievsky Island and in Peterhof. During the Soviet period, it was known as Leningrad State University (Ленинградский государственный университет)

Brief History

In the period between 1803 and 1819, Saint Petersburg University officially did not exist; the institution founded by Peter the Great, the Saint Petersburg Academy, had already been disbanded, because the new 1803 charter of the Academy of Sciences stipulated that there should be no educational institutions affiliated with it. The Petersburg Pedagogical Institute, renamed the Main Pedagogical Institute in 1814, was established in 1804 and occupied a part of the Twelve Collegia building.

On February 8, 1819 (O.S.), Alexander I of Russia reorganized the Main Pedagogical Institute into Saint Petersburg University, which at that time consisted of three faculties: Faculty of Philosophy and Law, Faculty of History and Philology and Faculty of Physics and Mathematics, and enrolled several dozen students. Since there is some degree of continuity between the Academy, the Pedagogical Institute, and the University, Saint Petersburg State University may be considered the oldest university in Russia. In 1821 the university was renamed Saint Petersburg Imperial University. In 1823 most of the university moved from the Twelve Collegia to the southern part of the city beyond the Fontanka. In 1824 a version of the charter of Moscow University became the first charter of the Saint Petersburg Imperial University. In 1829 there were 19 full professors and 169 full-time and part-time students in the university. In 1830 Tsar Nicholas passed the entire building of the Twelve Collegia back to the university, and the courses returned there. In 1835 a new Charter of the Imperial Universities of Russia was approved. According to it during the following years the Faculty of Law was established and the Faculty of History and Philology and Faculty of Physics and Mathematics were merged into the Faculty of Philosophy as the 1st and 2nd Departments, respectively.

In 1849 after the Spring of Nations the Senate of the Russian Empire decreed that the Rector should be appointed by the Minister of National Enlightenment rather than elected by the Assembly of the university. However, Pyotr Pletnyov was reappointed Rector and ultimately became the longest-serving rector of Saint Petersburg University (1840–1861).
In 1850 the 1st and 2nd Departments of the Faculty of Philosophy were turned back into the Faculty of History and Philosophy and Faculty of Physics and Mathematics, respectively, the latter specializing not only in mathematics and physics, but also in other natural sciences, such as biology and chemistry. The Oriental studies were separated from the Faculty of History and Philology, and in 1855 the fourth faculty, Faculty of Oriental Languages, was opened.

In 1914 with the start of the First World War, the university was renamed Petrograd Imperial University after its namesake city. In 1915 a branch of the university was opened in Perm, which later became Perm State University. The Assembly of Petrograd Imperial University openly welcomed the February Revolution of 1917, which put an end to the Russian monarchy, and the university came to be known as just Petrograd University. However, after the October Revolution of 1917, the staff and administration of the university were initially vocally opposed to the Bolshevik takeover of power and reluctant to cooperate with the Narkompros. Later in 1917–1922 during the Russian Civil War some of the staff suspected of counter-revolutionary sympathies suffered imprisonment (e.g. Lev Shcherba in 1919), execution, or exile abroad on the so-called Philosophers' ships in 1922 (e.g. Nikolai Lossky). Furthermore, the entire staff suffered from hunger and extreme poverty during those years.

In 1918 the university was renamed 1st Petrograd State University, and in 1919 the Narkompros merged it with the 2nd PSU (former Psychoneurological Institute) and 3rd PSU (former Bestuzhev Higher Courses for Women) into Petrograd State University. In 1919 the Faculty of Social Science was established by the Narkompros instead of the Faculty of History and Philology, Faculty of Oriental Languages and Faculty of Law. Nicholas Marr became the first Dean of the new faculty. Chemist Alexey Favorsky became the Dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics. Rabfaks and free university courses were opened on the basis of the university to provide mass education. In the fall of 1920, as observed by freshman student Alice Rosenbaum, enrollment was open and the majority of the students were anti-communist including, until removed, a few vocal opponents of the regime. Seeing that they were educating "class enemies", a purge was conducted in 1922 based on the class background of the students and all students, other than seniors, with a bourgeois background were expelled.

During the 1920s the university, like other higher education institutions in the Soviet Union, became subject to educational experimentation. The structure and status of the faculties and departments of the university underwent major changes. Many of them were merged, split or renamed, new subdivisions were established, independent institutes were merged into the university as faculties, sometimes only to be restored to their old status a few years later.

In 1949–1950 several professors died in prison during the investigation of the Leningrad Affair fabricated by the central Soviet leadership, and the Minister of Education of the RSFSR, former rector Alexander Voznesensky, was executed.

In 1961 the Faculty of Journalism split from the Faculty of Philology. In 1966 the Council of Ministers of the Soviet Union decided to build a new suburban campus in Petrodvorets for most of the mathematics and natural science faculties. The relocation of the faculties had been completed by the 1990s.

The Faculty of Psychology split from the Faculty of Philosophy in 1966. In 1969 the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Soviet Union awarded the university with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour. The Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Control Processes was split from the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics in 1969.

In 1989 the Faculty of Sociology was opened. In 1991 the university was renamed back to Saint Petersburg State University after its namesake city. During the 1990s three new faculties were opened: the Faculty of Management in 1993, the Faculty of International Relations in 1994 and the Faculty of Medicine in 1995.

Academics

SPbSU is made up of 20 specialized faculties (departments), which are:
• the Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Control Processes (*rus)
• the Faculty of Biology and Soil Studies (*rus)
• the Faculty of Chemistry (*rus)
• the Faculty of Economics (*rus)
• the Faculty of Geography and Geoecology (*rus)
• the Faculty of Geology (*rus)
• the Faculty of History (*rus)
• the Department of International Relations (*rus | *eng)
• the Faculty of Journalism (*rus | *eng)
• the Faculty of Law (*rus)
• the Faculty of Management (Graduate School of Management) (*eng)
• the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics (*rus)
• the Faculty of Medicine
• the Faculty of Oriental Studies (*rus)
• the Faculty of Philology and Arts (*rus)
• the Faculty of Philosophy (*rus)
• the Faculty of Physics (*rus)
• the Faculty of Political Science
• the Faculty of Psychology (*rus)
• the Faculty of Sociology (*rus)

There is also a Faculty of Military Studies and a Chair of Physical Culture and Sports.
( Information taken from wikipedia.com)

St Petersburg state university ranked 168th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

13.1.10

Yonsei University


Yonsei University (연세대학교; 延世大學校) (Korean pronunciation: [jənseː]) is a Christian private research university, located in Seoul, South Korea. Established in 1885, it is one of the oldest universities in South Korea and is widely regarded as one of the top three comprehensive universities in the country. In 2009 the university was ranked 151st in the world by the British university evaluation agency Times and Quacquarelli Symonds.


The university was formally established in January, 1957 through the union of Yonhi College (연희전문학교; 延禧專門學校) and Severance Union Medical College (세브란스 의과대학; 세브란스 醫課大學). This was a result of a lasting bilateral cooperation between the two colleges which had begun in the 1920s. The institutions were new to Korea at the time of their inception — Yonhi College was one of the first modern colleges, founded originally as Chosun Christian College (조선기독교대학; 朝鮮基督教大學) in March, 1915, and Severance has its roots in the first modern medical center in Korea, Gwanghyewon (광혜원 廣惠院, House of Extended Grace), founded in April, 1885. As a tribute, the name 'Yonsei' was derived from the first syllables of the names of its two parent institutions, 'Yon; 연; 延' from Yonhi College and 'Sei; 세; 世' from Severance Union Medical College.

As of April 1, 2009, Yonsei University has a main campus in Seoul, a secondary campus in Wonju, South Korea, 26,530 undergraduate students, 11,437 graduate students, and 4,178 faculty members.

History

In 1885, King Gojong of the Chosun Dynasty requested Dr. H. N. Allen, an American Northern Presbyterian missionary who volunteered as a royal family doctor, to set up a hospital named Jejungwon in Gurigae. On March 29, 1886, sixteen students were selected and the school was opened. This marked not only the birth of Yonsei University, but also the starting point of modern medical education in Korea and among the first in Asia. Later, Dr. O. R. Avison, a Professor at the University of Toronto Medical School, became the head of Jejungwon, and through a donation from Mr. L. H. Severance, the hospital was reconstructed and the medical education institution was finalized. They respectively became Severance Hospital and Severance Medical School. The first seven graduates in 1908 received the first doctors’ licenses issued by the Korean government.

In 1917, the school developed into Severance Union Medical College, but, in 1942, under pressure from Japan the school name was changed to Asahi Medical College until Korea’s independence in August 1945

In 1947, the school obtained permission from the Ministry of Culture and Education to establish a 6-year long course program at Severance Medical College. During the Korean War, a humanitarian aid hospital was established to provide medical services for refugees and the injured.

Meanwhile, in September 1906, Miss Esther L. Shields established a nursing school within Severance Hospital as a professional institute to train outstanding nurses. The school produced the first nurses in Korea in 1910. In 1968, the school was elevated to College of Nursing.

Academics and Faculties

Colleges
o Seoul Campus
+ University College
+ College of Liberal Arts
+ College of Business and Economics
+ School of Business
+ College of Science
+ College of Engineering
+ College of Theology
+ College of Social Sciences
+ College of Law
+ College of Music
+ College of Human Ecology
+ College of Education Science
+ College of Christianity
+ College of Medicine
+ College of Dentistry
+ College of Nursing
+ Underwood International College

o Wonju Campus
+ College of Humanities and Arts
+ College of Sciences and Technologies
+ College of Government and Business
+ College of Health Sciences
+ Wonju College of Medicine
+ East Asia International College

* Graduate Schools
o Graduate School
o United Graduate School of Theology
o Graduate School of International Studies
o Graduate School of Information
o Graduate School of Communication and Arts
o Graduate School of Social Welfare
o Graduate School of Business Administration
o Graduate School of Education
o Graduate School of Public Administration
o Graduate School of Engineering
o Graduate School of Journalism and Mass Communication
o Graduate School of Law
o Graduate School of Human Environmental Sciences
o Graduate School of Economics
o Law School

* Medical Center
o Severance Hospital


Yonsei University ranked 151st in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking
Yonsei University ranked 142nd in the 2010 QS World University Ranking
Yonsei University ranked 129th in the 2011 QS World University Ranking

6.1.10

University of Bergen



The University of Bergen (Universitetet i Bergen) is located in Bergen, Norway. Although founded as late as 1946, academic activity had taken place at Bergen Museum as far back as 1825. The university today serves more than 14,500 students. It is one of seven universities in Norway.

Tuition

Home students (European citizens) do not pay fees to the university. Students are however required to be members of the student welfare organisation. As of Fall 2009, this fee (semesteravgift) is NOK 470 (approx. US$ 80) per semester, and provides access to several services, including cultural activities, childcare, refunds for many medical expenses and subsidized accommodation.


Ranking

The University in Bergen currently is ranked as the 144th best university in the world, out of 9000 universities. In 2006, the University of Bergen appeared unranked on the THES - QS World University Rankings among the 201-520th best universities in Europe. In 2007, the university was ranked as the 225th best in Europe, in front of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and the University of Tromsø, which ranked as the 301st and 292nd best respectively, but behind the University of Oslo, ranked as the 188th best university.On the 2009 THE–QS World University Rankings list, the University of Bergen was ranked inside the top 200 for the first time.


Faculty of Humanities

* Centre for Medieval Studies
* Centre for the Study of the Sciences and the Humanities
* Centre for Women and Gender Research
* Department of Archeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion (AHKR)
* Department of Foreign Languages (Arabic, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German and single courses in Chinese (IF) [1]
* Department of Linguistics, Literary and Aestethical studies (LLE)
* Department of Philosophy and First Semester Studies (see Examen philosophicum and Examen facultatum) (FOF)
* The Grieg Academy – Department of Music

The faculty revised its structure and names in August 2007.
Faculty of Law

The Faculty of Law was established as a separate faculty in 1980, with legal studies and research having been conducted at the university since 1969. The faculty is one of three Norwegian institutions which offer legal studies, the other two being the law faculties at the University of Oslo and the University of Tromsø. The faculty offers a five-year programme leading to a Master's degree in law and a three-year PhD programme, and currently has approximately 1900 students.

Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences

* Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research
* Centre for Geobiology
* Centre for Pharmacy
* CIPR - Centre for Integrated Petroleum Research
* Department of Biology
* Department of Chemistry
* Department of Earth Science
* Department of Informatics
* Department of Mathematics
* Department of Molecular Biology
* Department of Physics and Technology
* Geophysical Institute
* Laboratory for Electron Microscopy
* School Science Center


Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry

* Centre for International Health
* Dental University Hospital
* Department of Clinical Dentistry
* Department of Clinical Medicine
* Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care
* Department of Surgical Sciences
* Institute of Medicine
* Laboratory Animal Facility
* The Department of Biomedicine
* The Gade Institute

Faculty of Psychology

The University of Bergen is the only institution in the Nordic countries where the study of psychology has been assigned to its own faculty. Established in 1980, it educates psychologists and is responsible for the University's pedagogic education.
Faculty of Social Sciences

* Department of Administration and Organization Theory
* Department of Comparative Politics
* Department of Economics
* Department of Geography
* Department of Information Science and Media Studies
* Department of Social Anthropology
* Department of Sociology
* Centre for Development Studies
* Centre for Gender Studies
* Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies

University of Bergen ranked 144th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Bergen ranked 133th in the 2010 QS World University Ranking
University of Bergen ranked 121th in the 2011 QS World University Ranking
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruits is sweet ~ Aristotle

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela

Education is not a preparation for life, Education is life itself ~ John Dewey
William Butler Yeats: Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.